Tuesday, March 31, 2009

March 31, 2009



Tonight I had my first lesson with Robert at Capital Ballroom on Devine Street. The studio is a little off Devine St. and is only a 5 minute drive from USC. The studio has a small waiting room in front, a large front desk, and a large studio with mirrors and a divider to allow for more lessoons. Robert is extremely outgoing, professional, and energetic. He asked me about my background and I told him about my lessons with Tracy. I told him I had mostly focused on technique, so he decided to do mostly patterns with me. He was so cute and asked me several times if he was doing okay, which is ridiculous because I'M the one who has so much to learn. He was a great leader as well as reinforcing the names of each move.

Some things for me to work on:
* small steps, especially when doing basic to the side
* staying in tune with my partner and following lead
* keeping my hand higher on my partner's shoulder

Some patterns we reviewed/learned:
- hammer lock
- sombreo into neck roll, open, and fake
- parallels
- cross over body lead
- cross overs
- three turn combo
- swivels
- fifth position cross overs
- and a few others I can't remember at the moment but I will make sure to ask him about next time

NOTE TO SELF: bring pen and paper next time and write down everything WITH my teacher to make sure I don't forget anything

I can't wait for my next three lessons, each one on tuesdays at 7:30!

1 comment:

  1. How long ago did this studio open? Do they offer other things besides private lessons (group lessons, community dance events, exhibitions, etc.)? Who opened the studio & what is his/her background?
    The video IS amazing - 'wish I had that woman's flexibility!

    ReplyDelete