Tuesday, March 31, 2009

March 18, 2009

Today I had another one hour lesson with Tracy at Columbia’s Ballroom Company. We worked on pivot variations today. We did progressive swivels which continue in one direction, quick switching swivels in which you face your partner and switch sides. We also did swivels in which you don’t cross one leg in front of the other and its more of a quick hip twist from side to side. The most important thing we learned is that I have been moving my hips in the wrong direction this entire time! Whatever leg is more straight has the hip up. This results from a sort of pinching down under the same shoulder which brings that hip up. This also results in a sort of projection of the opposite side of the chest. Other comments Tracy made during my lesson were to keep my arms loose, really put all my weight into my partner’s hands, and lean inwards when turning (towards the center pivot point).

I asked Tracy about Ramon Gil, and he said he’s heard they teach similar things, so I think a lesson with him will be beneficial. He also said that if I email him the questionnaire I created, he’ll give copies to Joyce and Paul to fill out as well.

March 20, 2009

Today I spoke with Briana Timmerman about my project. She suggested starting a blog at blogspot.com as well as a facebook group. This way I can gather interest and supply a point of contact for people I tell about my project. On the blog I could make these journal entries as well as post videos and pictures. She also said it would be a great thing to provide if I do a demo on Greene Street. She loved the demo idea. She also said that I can continue my project into the summer or even next semester, and that I don’t have to use all my money now. This is such a relief. I just have to make an updated application once April is done.

Briana suggested I get connected with Ben Rex, an honor’s college alum who has a booming business. He created his own business and is interested in the arts. I believe he’s teaching the SCHC 381 I for fall 2009. This would be an elective, but she said it’s a great way to learn how to start my own business.

Other updates: I got questionnaire results back from Pam Melton, the mentor of Ballroom Club. I’ve emailed Erin at Vista Ballroom and Melissa Perez and am waiting responses. I still need to contact my other contacts. I also need to update my ITAMs, but first I need to check my timesheets I turned in to the honor’s college.

No comments:

Post a Comment