Tuesday, March 31, 2009

February 16, 2009

Today I had my first private salsa lesson! My lesson was with Tracey at Columbia’s Ballroom Company. I signed up for three hours, which came out to be $137.00. Today’s lesson was an hour and a half counting sign-in time and the bit we went over my time limit. Tracey was a fantastic teacher and dancer. Watching him demonstrate was incredible. Every inch of his body had perfect technique.

The first thing we went over was the basic step. Like I’ve learned before, its quick quick slow starting on the first beat. A new thing Tracey introduced was dancing from below the shoulder blades on your back. In salsa you squeeze down on your right side of your back which makes you step forward on your left, like squeezing toothpaste out of the tube. This movement makes your shoulders and then your hips. However, I’m not quite sure I have the shoulder roll down. I feel like I’m doing what’s natural, but I’s not what Tracey looks like when he does it. It’s going to be the thing I ask him about at our next lesson.

Another technique thing Tracey pointed out was that your knees are flexed, or bent, and alternate. This also contributes to the hip movement. Other pointers are listed below:
· Step ball-heel
· Don’t put your heel down when stepping together until right before you take another step forward or backward
· Stay over whatever foot you step on – this was my biggest problem
· Make eye contact with your partner
· Spot when turning – look in the direction you’re going and then back at your partner
· Let your arms be free and natural
· Hold your arms from below the shoulder blades
· Don’t tighten your biceps – hold in your wrist and blades
· Put your shoulder blade into your partner’s hand when in closed position

We learned several moves including continuing forward/backward, fifth position (crossing behind), cross over step, and several turns. I can’t exactly remember everything we learned because I didn’t write it all down immediately after. Next time I’m going to bring my camera and a notebook so I can record everything exactly.

I CAN’T WAIT FOR MY NEXT LESSON!!

No comments:

Post a Comment